Rochester MN MTG
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Possible Gatecrash Spoilers (Also, this place is boring. What's going on down in Rochester to kill the forums?)
Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am by Ran

» Return to Ravnica
Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 am by Ran

» trading post
Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 pm by Ran

» Bruna as Commander
Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am by Blacrowe

» Sacrifice!
Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm by MindofMyrddin

» U/R Mad Cards (Avacyn Restored)
Sun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm by MindofMyrddin

» G/W Aggro GP Minneapolis
Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm by MindofMyrddin

» WTF is wizards doing to me.
Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm by Ran

» U/W Delver Spirit Mantle
Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm by gunndaddyp

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 I'm poor and need a standard deck

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andrew

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-11-02
Age : 25
Location : Minneapolis

PostSubject: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:10 am

So, unfortunately the time that I headed up to college was around the big rotation, and having stayed pretty distant from m11 due to financial/college issues, I'm left with virtually nothing to construct a standard deck. I'm worried about the big threats right now (Titan ramp, other titan decks, vengevine, fauna shaman, wurmcoil engine, and any others I'm missing/forgetting) and don't know how I'm going to compete with some of them. I considered the possibility of constructing a mono-black deck, because I feel that the color had a lot of solid creatures (Skinrender, Liliana's Specter, Vampires, Grave Titan, etc.) And also a lot of great instants and sorceries, namely Haunting Echoes and Memoricide (To help me get rid of the threats that I can't actually buy myself, ha. Like titans and vengevines.) Ultimately, I decided against it, because I only own a single Grave Titan, and that's about the extent of my bombs (And after seeing Mono-black decks on here made by you guys, it seems like I made the right choice. Wormcoil Engine is too good.) I feel that besides the Titan, the only other real threatening win con's I own are 3 Baneslayer Angels, 2 Frost Titans, and 1 Sun Titan. Thinking about this made me lean a little towards a W/U/B build, but right now I'm considering the possibilities of W/B more. Has anyone else considered this color combination for standard at all?

TL;DR I'm really poor, have no cards in standard, am looking for criticism on a poor man's W/B deck idea. Ideas would be helpful.

I bought a few cards from Scars of Mirrodin that I thought were good, cool, fun, or just wanted to have, including:

2x Mimic Vat
1x Sunblast Angel (Bought for EDH, anyone think it's good for type 2 w/o gideon or venser?)
1x Chimeric Mass
4x Trinket Mage
3x Glimmerpoint Stag
4x Grasp of Darkness
2x Leonin Arbiter
3x Memoricide
2x Nihil Spellbomb
2x Ratchet Bomb
4x Skinrender
2x Volition Reins

So, that's about the extent of the cards that I have from that set (Just thought I'd list them so you guys could suggest other cards to buy or keep from suggesting I add cards that I don't have.)

The very basic outline of the deck I was thinking was something like this:


1x Brittle Effigy
2x Mimic Vat
2x Ratchet Bomb

3x Baneslayer Angel
1x Grave Titan
1x Sun Titan
4x Liliana's Specter
3x Skinrender
2x Vampire Hexmage
2x Glimmerpoint Stag

3x Doom Blade
3x Day of Judgment
3x Duress
4x Disfigure (Maybe some Vendetta, I think that card need a little more attention. Opinions?)
2x Memoricide

4x Marsh Flats
4x Terramorphic Expanse
16x Basics

This is a total first draft, written last night at 11.

Memoricide

I'm guessing (maybe I'm wrong) one of the biggest questions would be why I decided to maindeck Memoricide rather than sideboard it. I figured, since my deck would be less solid than much of the competition, if I could tell what they were playing, I could avoid losing game one to a titan in my face if I could have at least had the opportunity to draw this and maybe remove them pre-sideboard. Perhaps Haunting Echoes is better? Maybe Liliana Vess?

Glimmerpoint Stag
Second biggest question? Stag is a maybe still. I like the way that it interacts with Specter, My titans, Skinrender, and also seems like a fun target for Mimic Vat with a potential for combat tricks. It sounds like fun, and sounds good, but most things look good on paper. We'll see how it plays.

Doom Blade

Does anyone think that this is worse than Grasp of Darkness? Being so worried about Titans, Baneslayer, and Wormcoil, I feel this is best.

Duress, Disfigure, Vendetta

I originally had a playset of Duress in the list, and bumped it down to three, and upped the Disfigure count to four. I figured disfigure was really solid against WW, RDW, Elves, and ramp creatures. Because of these low toughness targets (Even Fauna Shaman) I feel that Vendetta could be a really solid alternative/addition. I can't justify it yet (The life does add up, after all) Does anyone have any opinions? Should I just forget about it and stick with disfigure?

Sun Titan
He gets me Mimic Vat, Ratchet Bomb, Specter, Hexmage, and lands. Specter, I feel is a little less impressive late game, however I think the biggest advantage can be taken by returning hexmage. But still, I don't feel like he's living up to his full potential.

Oust, Pitfall Trap, Condemn, Celestial Purge, Journey to Nowhere, and Revoke Existence
I lack white removal. The loss of Path is sad, and I'm not really sure where to go from there. Also, a lot of white cards exile. (Not exactly the best strategy when playing mimic Vat.) I've considered Pitfall Trap, but it seems more of a sideboard card, but I'd rather have some Celestial Purges in the spot. I don't know what to do in this area, really.

I know this is a pretty sad request. Ha. But I am quite poor. Any ideas would help. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
magic jesus

avatar

Posts : 277
Join date : 2010-08-22
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:42 am

Bump up the day of judgements, take out stag, turn disfigure into grasp, memorocide to the sideboard, add 4 vampire nighthawk, and possibly bump hexmage to a 4 of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrew

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-11-02
Age : 25
Location : Minneapolis

PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:45 pm

I suppose Grasp of Darkness could take the Disfigure spot. I'll definitely try and play it both ways. The Stag was merely a theory, I'm also going to wait to remove it until after it proves itself or not. Why do you recommend Day of Judgment be 4? And, I seem to be adding more cards than I'm taking out. Ha. Where would Nighthawk go? And I had extra Hexmage in the side, we'll see about the main. They're definitely important.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
magic jesus

avatar

Posts : 277
Join date : 2010-08-22
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Andrew wrote:
I suppose Grasp of Darkness could take the Disfigure spot. I'll definitely try and play it both ways. The Stag was merely a theory, I'm also going to wait to remove it until after it proves itself or not. Why do you recommend Day of Judgment be 4? And, I seem to be adding more cards than I'm taking out. Ha. Where would Nighthawk go? And I had extra Hexmage in the side, we'll see about the main. They're definitely important.


I say remove stag because a 3/3 with a cute ability isn't worth 4 mana, I say 4 day over 3 because against agro/eldrazi ramp you're never gonna be sad to see it. Id also remove brittle effigy because not only are you already packing a lot of better removal but you have no way to search for it, I'd say remove duress because ATM I'm absolutely not sold on it's value as there are lots of decks where you're just not gonna hit a card with it and what's worse than drawing duress late game when its nearly worthless? That gives you room to add nighthawk which is possibly the best removal this deck can have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrew

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-11-02
Age : 25
Location : Minneapolis

PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:26 pm

magic jesus wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I suppose Grasp of Darkness could take the Disfigure spot. I'll definitely try and play it both ways. The Stag was merely a theory, I'm also going to wait to remove it until after it proves itself or not. Why do you recommend Day of Judgment be 4? And, I seem to be adding more cards than I'm taking out. Ha. Where would Nighthawk go? And I had extra Hexmage in the side, we'll see about the main. They're definitely important.


I say remove stag because a 3/3 with a cute ability isn't worth 4 mana, I say 4 day over 3 because against agro/eldrazi ramp you're never gonna be sad to see it. Id also remove brittle effigy because not only are you already packing a lot of better removal but you have no way to search for it, I'd say remove duress because ATM I'm absolutely not sold on it's value as there are lots of decks where you're just not gonna hit a card with it and what's worse than drawing duress late game when its nearly worthless? That gives you room to add nighthawk which is possibly the best removal this deck can have.

I thought about the Effigy being removed. It was reminiscent of the UWB thinking which had Trinket Mage. That's more realistic for me. For the purpose of deck building, we can just assume that the Stag is no longer in the main. You have a good point with Duress. But, I think that will give me a little more incentive to maybe keep Memoricide in the main. (Not sure yet). The extra Day also helps with Mimic Vat and is better than Effigy, so that sounds good, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
magic jesus

avatar

Posts : 277
Join date : 2010-08-22
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Andrew wrote:
magic jesus wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I suppose Grasp of Darkness could take the Disfigure spot. I'll definitely try and play it both ways. The Stag was merely a theory, I'm also going to wait to remove it until after it proves itself or not. Why do you recommend Day of Judgment be 4? And, I seem to be adding more cards than I'm taking out. Ha. Where would Nighthawk go? And I had extra Hexmage in the side, we'll see about the main. They're definitely important.


I say remove stag because a 3/3 with a cute ability isn't worth 4 mana, I say 4 day over 3 because against agro/eldrazi ramp you're never gonna be sad to see it. Id also remove brittle effigy because not only are you already packing a lot of better removal but you have no way to search for it, I'd say remove duress because ATM I'm absolutely not sold on it's value as there are lots of decks where you're just not gonna hit a card with it and what's worse than drawing duress late game when its nearly worthless? That gives you room to add nighthawk which is possibly the best removal this deck can have.

I thought about the Effigy being removed. It was reminiscent of the UWB thinking which had Trinket Mage. That's more realistic for me. For the purpose of deck building, we can just assume that the Stag is no longer in the main. You have a good point with Duress. But, I think that will give me a little more incentive to maybe keep Memoricide in the main. (Not sure yet). The extra Day also helps with Mimic Vat and is better than Effigy, so that sounds good, too.


The problem with memoricide main is that ideally you play it on turn 4, in game one you cant realistically know the best target for it, and if you whiff that's horrible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrew

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-11-02
Age : 25
Location : Minneapolis

PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Yeah, I knew the risk of playing the Memoricide main. It probably would be smarter to move it to the side, but I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with a lot of cards. Assuming it's in the side, a new draft:

2x Mimic Vat
2x Ratchet Bomb

3x Baneslayer Angel
1x Grave Titan
1x Sun Titan
4x Liliana's Specter
3x Skinrender
3x Vampire Nighthawk
4x Vampire Hexmage

3x Doom Blade
4x Day of Judgment
4x Grasp of Darkness
2x Consuming Vapors

4x Marsh Flats
4x Terramorphic Expanse
7x Swamp
6x Plains
3x Tectonic Edge

Should I consider Gatekeeper of Malakir? SB?

Also, a sideboard would probably include some of these (Not sure if some of these have potential to make it, but I think they may be worth considering):

Leonin Arbiter
Memoricide
Celestial Purge
Consuming Vapors
Disfigure
Nihil Spellbomb
Haunting Echoes
Consume the Meek
Kor Sanctifiers
Revoke Existence
Leyline of the Void
Sadistic Sacrament

What others should I consider here?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Be_Nike

avatar

Posts : 111
Join date : 2009-10-28
Age : 27
Location : Manhattan, KS

PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:55 am

What do you want to play? I can send you:

Eldrazi Ramp minus the Primeval Titans since I need them for Valakut

U/W Control or U/W/x Control -- everything

Boros/Red Deck Wins -- everything, although i only have two Koths

The zero mana white weenie deck focusing around quest for the holy relic and argentum armor along with a bunch of cheap creatures (memnite, etc.) is pretty cheap minus the Mox Opals and is very strong.

I know you mentioned playing control in the OP, but that was based off card availability, right? Are you set on playing a specific archetype?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrew

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-11-02
Age : 25
Location : Minneapolis

PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Be_Nike wrote:
What do you want to play? I can send you:

Eldrazi Ramp minus the Primeval Titans since I need them for Valakut

U/W Control or U/W/x Control -- everything

Boros/Red Deck Wins -- everything, although i only have two Koths

The zero mana white weenie deck focusing around quest for the holy relic and argentum armor along with a bunch of cheap creatures (memnite, etc.) is pretty cheap minus the Mox Opals and is very strong.

I know you mentioned playing control in the OP, but that was based off card availability, right? Are you set on playing a specific archetype?

Thanks Benike. That would be pretty awesome if we could figure something out. But, I thought you were using your Koth's in your Valukut Ramp deck? Did you decide against it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: I'm poor and need a standard deck   

Back to top Go down
 
I'm poor and need a standard deck
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Custom made 'Raider deck' Bases - feedback please!
» Dynamic and standard.
» Which starter deck?
» Rate My Amorphage deck
» Building Standards?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RMTG :: Standard-
Jump to: