Rochester MN MTG
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Possible Gatecrash Spoilers (Also, this place is boring. What's going on down in Rochester to kill the forums?)
Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am by Ran

» Return to Ravnica
Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 am by Ran

» trading post
Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 pm by Ran

» Bruna as Commander
Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am by Blacrowe

» Sacrifice!
Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm by MindofMyrddin

» U/R Mad Cards (Avacyn Restored)
Sun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm by MindofMyrddin

» G/W Aggro GP Minneapolis
Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm by MindofMyrddin

» WTF is wizards doing to me.
Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm by Ran

» U/W Delver Spirit Mantle
Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm by gunndaddyp

February 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728     
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 what's the play?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
workshoptelescope



Posts : 664
Join date : 2009-11-23
Location : Rochester, MN

PostSubject: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:20 pm

i was having a conversational dispute (amiable, to be sure) regarding when it's proper to counter certain spells. we were exploring what tempo means for the caw-blade/tezz match, and specifically whether the mana ramping artifacts (manafacts, if you will) are worth countering early game. good cases were made for why and why not it might be the right play.
so, i thought i'd put it to public opinion (we do have some good players round these parts, after all) and see what you guys think.
you're caw-blade and tezz shows you a turn 2 manafact.
do you counter it? does it matter if you're on the play or draw? is it really dependent upon too many factors to have a solid answer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
magic jesus



Posts : 277
Join date : 2010-08-22
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:43 pm

most scenarios it doesnt matter if they ramp into a 3rd turn tezz or a fourth turn tezz you wanna counter it. That deck should NEVER not play tezz turn 4 just because you wasted a counter on a chalice or whatnot. Actually vs tezz i dont think i counter any mana artifacts at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
workshoptelescope



Posts : 664
Join date : 2009-11-23
Location : Rochester, MN

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 pm

magic jesus wrote:
most scenarios it doesnt matter if they ramp into a 3rd turn tezz or a fourth turn tezz you wanna counter it. That deck should NEVER not play tezz turn 4 just because you wasted a counter on a chalice or whatnot. Actually vs tezz i dont think i counter any mana artifacts at all.

even if they're also running the forgemaster plan? they need three artifacts for a number of things.
i'm not saying you're wrong (really), i'm just curious if birdblade is really afraid of anything that might happen other than tezz, himself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
magic jesus



Posts : 277
Join date : 2010-08-22
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:03 pm

counter the master then. you only need to worry about threats in that matchup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knepps



Posts : 263
Join date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:48 pm

I think that you allow the mana rampers in tezz, the game isn't like valakut where you must keep them from titan mana. You save your counters for the tezz, jace, and forgemasters.

If your countering the mana rampers then tezz has no 5/5s to protect it the turn it comes down. Allthough it is not very hard to dig for one with his +1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
workshoptelescope



Posts : 664
Join date : 2009-11-23
Location : Rochester, MN

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:52 pm

magic jesus wrote:
counter the master then. you only need to worry about threats in that matchup.

i am curious if you think it matters that the tezz lists run hand disruption or not, in considering what part tempo plays in the decision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
magic jesus



Posts : 277
Join date : 2010-08-22
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:22 pm

workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:
counter the master then. you only need to worry about threats in that matchup.

i am curious if you think it matters that the tezz lists run hand disruption or not, in considering what part tempo plays in the decision.


not at all, if they use their hand disruption on a counter they arent using it on what they probably should be. It's actually the same logic im apply with the other deck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
workshoptelescope



Posts : 664
Join date : 2009-11-23
Location : Rochester, MN

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:27 pm

magic jesus wrote:


not at all, if they use their hand disruption on a counter they arent using it on what they probably should be. It's actually the same logic im apply with the other deck.

fair enough. i'm glad to see people interacting with the question. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
magic jesus



Posts : 277
Join date : 2010-08-22
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:29 pm

workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:


not at all, if they use their hand disruption on a counter they arent using it on what they probably should be. It's actually the same logic im apply with the other deck.

fair enough. i'm glad to see people interacting with the question. Smile


come with me and dan to Gencon/Nats
Back to top Go down
View user profile
workshoptelescope



Posts : 664
Join date : 2009-11-23
Location : Rochester, MN

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:32 pm

magic jesus wrote:
workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:


not at all, if they use their hand disruption on a counter they arent using it on what they probably should be. It's actually the same logic im apply with the other deck.

fair enough. i'm glad to see people interacting with the question. Smile


come with me and dan to Gencon/Nats

i hope i can try to. i don't have lots of dollars at the moment but i might just get by the way i always do: hustling dealers for entry fee money. i've started thinking about the format again. i think i found one or two decks i like that are not birdstick-go.
also, thanks for the trade, man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
magic jesus



Posts : 277
Join date : 2010-08-22
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 pm

workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:
workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:


not at all, if they use their hand disruption on a counter they arent using it on what they probably should be. It's actually the same logic im apply with the other deck.

fair enough. i'm glad to see people interacting with the question. Smile


come with me and dan to Gencon/Nats

i hope i can try to. i don't have lots of dollars at the moment but i might just get by the way i always do: hustling dealers for entry fee money. i've started thinking about the format again. i think i found one or two decks i like that are not birdstick-go.
also, thanks for the trade, man.

np, im going to have a TON of trade stuff friday for anyone who wants to trades.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   

Back to top Go down
 
what's the play?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Grade 12s who are going on to play post-secondary, AAA/AA/A
» battlefield play 4 free
» Those who play Tf2 or interested in Tf2
» 1750pts for local play and maybe ETC
» Does anyone still play this online?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RMTG :: Standard-
Jump to: